By participating in the municipal elections on 11 June 2023, I directly choose the municipal councillors who will defend my interests and those of my municipality for the next 6 years.
Let’s participate in the next elections and make our voice heard in local political decisions!
Who can vote?
In order to participate in the municipal elections, I have to meet the following 3 requirements:
- I am 18 years old on 11 June 2023 (the day of the elections).
- I can go to the population office of my municipality at any time in order to register, but at the latest 55 days before the day of the municipal elections.
- I have not lost the right to vote in my country of origin or in Luxembourg.* I have not been sentenced by a judge to a criminal penalty.
By registering, my right to vote becomes an obligation.
My right is twofold: I can vote for the candidates who are running. I can also be a candidate in the local elections.
*Caution: I will, however, be able to vote if I have lost my right to vote in my country of origin because I have moved to Luxembourg.
How to register?
1. option: I register online
I can register electronically from now until 55 days before election day at the latest via the Guichet.lu portal using my LuxTrust certificate.
This process only takes a few minutes and I save myself a trip to my local administration.
Please note: my LuxTrust product must have an activated certificate.
2. option: I register in my municipality
I go to my municipal administration from now until 55 days before election day with a valid identity document (identity card, passport).
- I present my identity card or passport to the official at the population office.
- I fill in the declarations provided by the municipality (specifying nationality, place and date of birth, etc.). By registering on the electoral list, I now commit to participate in the elections.
Good to know
- Once registered, I am automatically re-registered for the next municipal elections and my vote is therefore compulsory.
- If I move, I am automatically transferred to my new municipality’s electoral list.
Info: I can request to be removed from the electoral list at any time. To do so, I have to contact my municipality. My name is automatically removed if I no longer meet the conditions required to exercise the right to vote. For Luxembourgers, voting is compulsory until the age of 75.